It’s quarantine day 65? 100? Who knows? But what we all know is that we’re all running out of homemade meal ideas that are healthy, satisfying, and easy to make. Here is a quick salad recipe that is both nutritious and palatable for the whole family. This recipe is completely dairy free and gluten free and can be easily altered to make it nut free as well. The star ingredient for this recipe is nutritional yeast. For those of you who aren’t familiar with nutritional yeast, you’re in for a treat! Nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast that is fortified with vitamin B. It’s a complete protein (an uncommon characteristic in non-animal products) which makes this an amazing protein source for vegans. As for its taste profile, it adds a cheesy and slightly nutty flavor to any dish.
Serving size: 4
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken (meat removed and diced)
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 whole avocado sliced
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 4 c baby spinach
- 2 c baby arugula
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in halves
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- 1 handful of crushed almonds and/or cashews (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 c almond milk (you can also use rice milk)
- 1 dash of garlic powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (I love Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast)
- ¼ c hemp seeds
- 1 sprinkle of ground pepper
- Prepare/cut all salad ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add in arugula and spinach. Lightly massage spinach and arugula with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add in the rest of the salad ingredients except for the avocados and give it a good mix.
- Top the salad with avocado slices.
- To prepare the dressing, simply add all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and blend well.
- Dizzle dressing on the bed of salad and serve!
Hope you all enjoy!